FieldMonitor turns your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch® into a wireless picture monitor / waveform monitor / vectorscope / histogram. See exactly what your camera is doing, without tethering your camera—or yourself—to a hardwired monitor and set of ’scopes.
FieldMonitor works with compatible Panasonic™and Sony™ cameras, or with Teradek™ Cube™, Clip™, or VidiU™ transmitters.
- Full-screen monitoring of your signal, with or without engineering ’scopes.
- A full range of onscreen markers: frameline and mask with adjustable safe areas and aspect ratios; several grids, center markers, and a customizable crosshair.
- Focus Assist with variable sensitivity and two display modes (with camera sources only, not Teradeks. On iOS 11, focus assist requires iOS 11.2 or later).
- Use 3D LUTs to view camera images: use the built-in VLog-to-V709 LUT or import your own .cube LUTs (camera sources only).
- On modern iDevices, you can also see a fully-adjustable false-color overlay for direct exposure verification.
- H and V Image Flip.
- Anamorphic desqueeze support for 1.33x, 1.5x, and 2.0x lenses.
- With a compatible camera you also get start/stop, exposure, color balance, and focus controls, so you can maintain essential control even while recording (FieldMonitor provides a limited set of controls intended to supplement or replace on-camera adjustments while recording under Wi-Fi control. It does not replace Panasonic’s own Image App or Sony’s PlayMemories Mobile for more comprehensive control, configuration, playback, and image transfer).
||Resolution (16x9 images)
||Display LUTs &
|Panasonic Lumix cameras (DC and DMC
|Yes||Yes||GH4s can’t record 10-bit when in Wi-Fi remote
mode. Some cameras only transmit 320x180 images. Camera’s peaking display may not
available while recording. Latency: 4 frames @ 24fps typical.
Remote” cameras (A6500, A7Sii, A7Rii, etc.)
|Yes||Yes||“Smart Remote” Sonys disable Picture Profiles and limit other features in Wi-Fi remote mode: no S-Log! No tap-to-focus control in movie mode. No focus mag or peaking. Latency: 5–6 frames @ 24fps typical.|
remote” cameras (A7iii, A7Riii, A9, A99ii, etc.)
|Yes||Yes||“Integrated remote” Sonys allow Picture Profiles in Wi-Fi remote mode: S-Log works! No focus-area display or tap-to-focus control; no battery or storage display. No focus mag or peaking. Latency: 5–6 frames @ 24fps typical.|
||depends on Teradek settings;
480i to 1080p
|No||No||Cube 100–600 series, VidiU, and Clip only.
Latency: 4+ frames @24fps depending on encoder settings.
- FieldMonitor does not offer playback or image-download capabilities.
- Audio monitoring is not possible with camera sources, only with Teradeks.
- If your Sony lacks a mode dial to choose between stills and movies, you won't be able to switch modes using FieldMonitor.
- FieldMonitor can’t make your camera do anything that the camera’s native app can’t make it do. If the native app (Image App for Panasonics, PlayMemories Mobile for Sonys) doesn’t show the focus area, battery or storage info, image magnification, and/or peaking, then FieldMonitor won’t show them either. If you can’t set the focus point using the native app, you won’t be able to using FieldMonitor. Test for specific functionality with your camera’s native app before assuming FieldMonitor can do it!
- FieldMonitor (like any other live monitoring and control Wi-Fi app) depends on having a clear Wi-Fi channel for communication. In areas with many busy Wi-Fi networks and/or sources of radio interference, performance cannot be guaranteed. Test for adequate performance using your camera’s native app before buying FieldMonitor!
Screenshots and Videos
Display one or three ’scopes and set up how they should appear. There are frameline, mask, grid, center, and custom markers, too. You can hide or show camera controls, ’scopes, markers, and other embellishments as you see fit, simply by tapping the screen.
False-color display allows setting each of the color levels (false color requires iDevices with A7 or later processors).
Unsure where your focus is?
Focus Assist gives you fully adjustable in-app sharpening, like an analog peaking control (Focus Assist is only available for camera sources, not for Teradeks).
Focus Assist’s Edge Mode really emphasizes where focus is placed.
Focus Assist demo:
Anamorphic support? Sure! Pick your lens and your final cropped aspect ratio (version 4.2 shown, without Focus Assist controls).
The 4-WAY display lets you see all the ’scopes alongside picture.
Many Panasonic cameras offer a peaking control in manual-focus mode (in STBY only for most cameras, though the GH5 displays it while recording).
With Panasonics in manual-focus STBY mode, you can magnify the focus area as both picture-in-picture...
...and as a full-screen image.
Use a LUT to properly view log images or to apply a look (camera sources only).
Version 4.1 reviewed by DSLRVideoShooter:
Version 4.1 reviewed by DansTube.tv in Australia:
Versión 4.1 revisada por Toni Galera en LookMediaSpain.com:
A quick demo of version 4.2, showing FieldMonitor’s Sony-specific operations:
A quick demo of version 3.0, showing Panasonic operations, ’scopes, and anamorphic settings:
See also Newsshooter.com's 2½ minute video on Wi-Fi WFM (FieldMonitor's predecessor) from Cine Gear Expo 2016.
FieldMonitor is an independently-developed app, not a product of Panasonic, Sony, or Teradek. Panasonic, Sony, and Teradek are not responsible for FieldMonitor’s performance, suitability, or fitness for purpose.
iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Panasonic and Lumix are trademarks of Panasonic Corporation. Sony is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Teradek, Cube, Clip, VidiU, and Bolt are trademarks of Teradek, a Vitec Group Brand.
© 2018 Adam J. Wilt. Last updated 2018.05.24